Sunday, March 20, 2011

Parenting Workshop

I recently had the opportunity to attend a parenting workshop on Social Skills.  Since I consider being a parent one of the most important roles I'll ever have in life, I knew it was a great opportunity to learn more about the world of my soon-to-be Terrible Two Year Old. The focus of the workshop revolved around the importance of social skills, the emotional development of your child, and the ability to problem solve independently.  Although the instructor gave a six-step process to model and implement for problem solving (which I will probably have to make signs to hang around my house), I cannot stress enough the importance of this skill.   As an educator, children will use problem solving in every facet of their lives and it is important to provide them the opportunity to learn this skill in a safe and supportive environment.  Doing so will allow your child to problem solve independently when the opportunity arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment